Individual Income Tax Solutions

Who needs to submit income tax? What do you need to declare? Do i have to declare additional income? How do I find my income tax number? What if I am behind on my submissions?

Who Needs to Submit Income Tax?

Individuals who are salary earners and receive an IRP5/IT3A

Individuals who receive more than one income -additional income such as rental income, services rendered in your personal capacity over and above your salary, maintenance( this is not tax able but must be declared)

Directors of a trading company or CC 

Sole Proprietors – individuals who trade in there personal capacity and do not have a registered PTY LTD/CC

If you are still unsure you can follow the link below to the SARS website and answer some simple questions

What do you need to declare?

  • Remuneration (income from employment), such as, salaries, wages, bonuses, overtime pay, taxable (fringe) benefits, allowances and certain lump sum benefits
  • Profits or losses from a business or trade
  • Income or profits arising from an individual being a beneficiary of a trust
  • Director’s fees
  • Investment income, such as interest and foreign dividends
  • Rental income or losses
  • Income from royalties
  • Annuities
  • Pension income
  • Certain capital gains
  • Maintenance 
  • Any other additional income 

HOw do i find my income tax number?

If you have forgotten your tax number you can request it from SARS in various ways:
  • You can get it on eFiling if you are registered as an eFiler. All you need to do is log on and check your number
  • You can request it verbally from the SARS Contact Center on 0800 00 7277. Please have your ID number on hand as SARS will have to authenticate who you are. You can also request your notice of registration from the SARS Contact Center or at a SARS branch. 
  • Or you can visit your nearest SARS branch to get it. Please take along your ID.
Top Tip:
SARS will not provide your tax number to another person, unless the person is your tax practitioner or has power of attorney to conduct your tax affairs.

What documents do i need?

  • Your IRP5/IT3(a) certificate(s) which you will receive from your employer
  • Medical certificates as well as documents required for amounts claimed in addition to those covered by your medical aid.
  • Pension and retirement annuity certificates
  • Your banking details
  • Travel logbook (if you receive a travel allowance)
  • Tax certificates that you received in respect of investment income (IT3(b))
  • Completed confirmation of diagnosis of disability (ITR-DD), where applicable
  • Information relating to capital gain transactions, if applicable
  • The approved Voluntary Disclosure Programme (VDP) Agreement between yourself and SARS for years prior to 17 February 2010, where applicable
  • Financial statements, e.g. business income, where applicable
  • Any other documentation relating to income you received or deductions you want to claim.

I forgot my efiling details

Online through the eFiling website

Go to the eFiling website and click on the Login button. From there, click on the ‘For a Reminder of your username’ or if you have forgotten your password.

Calling the Contact Center

An automated self-service option is available on 0800 00 7277 to reset your password and receive it via sms or email.

Follow these easy steps to have your password reset:

1) Call the SARS Contact Centre on 0800 00 7277.
2) Listen to the available options, and select “If you have forgotten your personal eFiling password”.
3) When asked, enter the following details:
  • tax reference number followed by the hash (#) key.
  • South African ID number or company registration number followed by the hash (#) key.

If your contact details have changed you will be transferred to the contact centre agent to help you reset your password. 

Top Tip: before you call SARS have your identity number and tax number to hand.

Can i submit more than 1 tax submission?

Yes, if you have more than 1 tax return outstanding we can submit more than 1 and bring you up to date- however please note that SARS may charge penalties an interest on late submissions.

Need us to submit your income tax return?

Let us make this tax season a breeze, simply fill in the form below and we will be in contact with yo to finlaise your tax return.